Toilet Training - not our favourite activity!

Right, so, with NB now almost certain to be put up for adoption I have decided that it really is time to start toilet training in earnest, on the grounds that it will make him more adoptable.

I know that sounds awful, but that's how it is.

At his age, not being toilet trained would be a bit of a red flag to prospective adopters.  I know that NB is a wonderful, loving child with many positive qualities, but I also know that you'd have to meet him to appreciate all of these qualities, and prospective adopters don't really get that opportunity.  Instead they get a load of paperwork that, with the best will in the world, hardly presents a three-dimensional picture of a young child.

So, toilet training it is then!

So far, I'd say it's going quite badly!

Having read a couple of books and talked to a lot of different people I've noticed that there are very strong opinions on the single best way to approach toilet training.  Unfortunately there seem to be as many 'single best ways' as there are people with opinions!

So, bearing in mind that NB has toddlers diarrhoea that would make a grown man weep, I've opted for a mix of big boy underpants and pull-ups.  I don't mind dealing with wet pants at home or out and about, but I don't want to deal with poo running down his legs while we're out shopping, and I don't want him to have to deal with that either.  The kids at Playgroup might only be little, but they're not blind, and their noses work just fine!

So far, I'd say it hasn't been a roaring success.  NB is completely happy to sit on the special big-boy toilet seat, or the potty (he's sitting on there now, reading a book!) but he isn't so happy to actually do a wee wee in either of those places.

In preparation for toilet training I made sure he could say and understand 'wee wee' and 'poo', 'wet' and 'dry'.  I'm so glad I did that.  Because now, after a massive cup of juice and ten minutes on the potty refusing to wee, he can quite confidently inform me that his pants are 'wet, wet' when he wees all over himself 30 seconds after getting up off the potty!

So clever!!

Aaaargh!!

Yesterday he stored up his drinks like a camel from 9.30 until 3pm, despite repeated trips to the potty and toilet.  And then he let them out all over my friend's kitchen floor.  

It's day three and I'm already thinking I might not have the patience to stay the course!


Comments

Popular Posts